Today, I have been tagged, poked, IM’ed, pinged, dinged, and friended. I have updated my status, tweeted, blogged, surfed, linkedIn, liked, Skyped and Googled. I think I even had the opportunity to “Digg” something but I have no idea what that means.
Do you ever stop to wonder what our forefathers would have thought of our culture today? If Mr. Merriam and Mr. Webster were alive today they might think they were plopped into a foreign country with some of the terms we use today. It’s a bit mind-boggling to think that in 250 years we’ve progressed from lanterns in windows (and I don’t mean the Microsoft kind) as a means of communication to being able to broadcast our thoughts, feelings, and emotions across the world in an instant from a hand held electronic device. After all, according to evolutionary theory, it took a few million years just for us to stand upright.
It can get a bit ridiculous, really. I mean, thanks to social media (a term that didn’t even exist 20 years ago), we can, in 144 characters or less, ponder life’s greatest mysteries, wish “Happy Birthday” to someone to whom we would ordinarily never remember to send a card, share celebrations, tragedies, and life’s funniest moments. But, unless you are offering to do my laundry or inviting me over for dinner, I don’t really need to know that you checked in at the local “Clean ‘N Suds” or making tacos for
And yet, we are hooked. They don’t call it a “Crackberry” for nothing. My husband just reminded me, I am the pot calling the kettle black. I have a minor panic attack whenever my iPod is out of arms reach. But, mostly, this is because if I can’t find
it, it means it is probably in the hands of a precocious 3 year old who is taking pictures of the carpet or dunking it in the toilet. It’s happened. Trust me.
Love it or hate it, social media, is here to stay. So, embrace it. As military families, where would we be without email, Skype, and instant messaging during times of long separations? We can also use it to our advantage to build networks, search for jobs, and highlight our skills and abilities. If you can’t beat it, join it. Knowing your way around the internet and the social media world will be an asset that many future employers are looking for. More and more, we can “find it on Facebook” or “follow it on Twitter” as companies are expanding their presence on social media sites to enhance and grow their business. They need people who know how to tweet, blog, post, poke, like, and youtube it. Why not you?
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The first fifteen opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. The remaining jobs can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Openings with JobCentral National Labor Exchange”.
- Software Engineer Generalist, Facebook, Seattle, WA52453BR
- DataCenterConstruction Manger, Facebook, Prineville, OR 52452BR
- Recruiting Coordinator-Contract, Facebook, Seattle, WA52451BR
- Strategist Market Solutions, Facebook, Los Angeles, CA 52450BR
- Manager Measurement Solutions, Facebook, Chicago, IL52449BR
- University Risk Operations Analyst, Facebook, Austin, TX 52448BR
- Sales Manager, Facebook, Atlanta, GA52447BR
- Account Manager, Facebook, Direct Sales, New York, NY 52446BR
- Mobile Apps Analyst, Facebook, Palo Alto, CA 52445BR
- Account Executive, LivingSocial, Raleigh, NC52241BR
- Social Media Specialist, Bader Rutter, Brookfield, WI 52240BR
- Sr Social Media Analyst, Bosch Automotive, Broadview, IL 52239BR
- Associate Media Director, Razorfish, Chicago, IL52195BR
- Director of Corporate Communications, EventBrite, San Francisco, CA 52191BR
- Event Evangelist, EventBrite, Atlanta, GA52188BR
- Computer Geek or Guru Gold Pure Food Products Inc., Co. (Hempstead, NY)
- Customer Engagement Manager, Atlanta Sears Holdings (Atlanta,GA)
- Web Editor Village Voice Media (Phoenix, AZ)
- Huffington Post News Editor, Trends AOL (New York City, NY)
- Local Editor, Cuyahoga Falls Patch AOL (Work From Home, OH)
- Social Media Representative (Call Center) Taylor Corporation (North Mankato, MN)
- Manager, Social Media Getty Images (USA)
- New Media Manager Americans for the Arts (Miami, FL)
- Social Customer Support Specialist eBay (San Jose, CA)
- Writer, Staff NMM (Multi-Media) Tribune (USA)
- Assistant Director for Communications and Student Engagement (Unclassified MSUAASF) MNSCU (Moorhead, MN)
- Blog Writer II Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN)