Deb’s Dish on Work Life
“Don’t exaggerate your professional profiles on social networking sites because you’re much more interesting JUST the way you are! ” . . . Deb Kloeppel, CEO, MSCCN
Read Deb’s latest articles in Army Wife Network and Blue Star Families
It’s a time of the year many Marines look forward to and treasure, The Marine Corps Birthday on November 10th! They take their finest uniform “dress blues” out to get cleaned, shine their dress shoes, and medals. You will hear exuberant shouts of “Happy Birthday, Simper Fi and Oorah” to their fellow brothers/Marines. There is always a sense of pride and acomplishment in the air when you are surrounded by a room full of Marines, they are happy, proud and ecstatic about what they have done, what they stand for, and the opportunity to reconnect and reminisce with their fellow brothers about the good old days.
This is one of the best times of year as they celebrate another year of greatness and the beginning of the Toys for Tots Program. If you are looking for to do something good for the Marines and make a difference; consider thanking them for their service, donating to Toys for Tots, or even helping to make a special night better. You can start by looking for work at resorts, volunteer with family readiness officers to help plan and coordinate fundraising efforts, catering, babysitting, etc.
If you are looking for opportunities to make a difference this season and helping out a selfless group of warriors that put their lives on the line then check out this week’s Find Work Wednesday position and thousands of other position for military-affiliated
applicants can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The first three opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Opening with MSCCN”. The remaining jobs can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Opening with JobCentral National Labor Exchange”.
- SR Assistant, Office/Program FT, Detrick Maryland 52532BR
- Facility Technician, Las Vegas, NV 53259BR
- Account Executive, Raleigh, NC 52241BR
- MarketingGreeter/Receptionist, Daytona, FL
- Catering Manager, JC Resorts, Temecula, CA
- Assurance Entertainment & Media Manager, PWC, Los Angeles, CA
- Reservations Agent, Destination Hotels & Resort, USA
- Quality Assurance Representative, Wyndham International, Las Vegas, NV
- BanquetStoreroom Clerk, Luxury Resorts & Hotels, Boca Raton, FL
- Slots/Beverage Service Supervisor, The Palazzo Resort, Bethlehem, PA
Ahh, yes. The time has come again. The smells, sight and sounds are all around you. No, I’m not talking about spiced cider, pumpkins, turning leaves, crisp fall days, or squirrels scurrying to gather nuts for the winter.
It’s the smell of the blood, sweat and tears of candidates in the throes of political ambition, competition, and desperation; the rustle of elected officials and their minions, scurrying through the hallowed halls of government, seeking political favor, casting blame and gathering ammunition to squash their competition. Podiums across America are being dusted off and polished up, along with the images and reputations of many government leaders, to bear witness to a candidate’s credentials as he or she attempts to convince us why they should represent the voice of the people. Republican, Democrat, Independent, liberal, conservative, Green Party, Tea Party or any party in between, the start of the political and election season is underway.
As Americans gear up for another brutal (as much as we may wish it otherwise) election season, it is time once again to don the waders as we navigate our way through the political quagmire of campaign speeches, political promises, baby kissing, lobbyists, fundraising, and lengthy debates. I have caught up on all my old Army Wives episodes, cleared out my DVR, and am ready to fast forward my way through the next 14 months of political ads.
Whatever your political party of choice, there seems to be little doubt that come November 2012, the path to Washington D.C . (and let’s not forget our local legislators) promises to be littered with the unmet political aspirations, hopes and dreams of many a political career. As an act of public service, we felt that, for this edition of Find Work Wednesday, we would focus our attention on career opportunities for our politicians who may find themselves out of a job come November 2012. We are making no predictions as to the future election turnout. But, if American sentiment is the same next year as it is today, we anticipate numerous politicians hitting the want ads. Competition for jobs can be fierce, and, as we job seekers know, it’s never too early to get a head start.
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses, Veterans, and Military-affiliated applicants can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The first nine opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. The remaining jobs can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Openings with JobCentral National Labor Exchange.”
- Group X Instructor, 24 Hour Fitness, Los Angeles, CA 51621BR
- Group X Instructor, 24 Hour Fitness, Colorado Springs 51622BR
- Personal Trainer I, 24 Hour Fitness, Phoenix, AZ 51623BR
- Personal Trainer I, 24 Hour Fitness, Fort Worth, TX 51624BR
- Project Assoc. Art Director, ESPN, Inc, Bristol, CT 51625BR
- Talent Producer, ESPN, Inc, Bristol, CT 51626BR
- Assistant Store Manager, Game Stop, Oceanside, CA 51627BR
- Assistant Store Manager, Game Stop, Fayetteville, NC 51628BR
- Starbucks, Store Manager, locations nationwide 51394BR
- VP Government Relations, Rolls Royce (Reston, VA)
- Executive Support Administrator-Vice Chair – TAS – New York Ernst & Young (New York, NY)
- Associate Director, MidEast Initiative DePaul University (USA)
- Government Affairs Associate GeoEye (USA)
- Communications Manager (Contractor) The Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC)
- Solyndra, Fremont, CA
Did you hear that? Listen close. That was the sound of millions of children climbing the steps of a million busses to go to a million schools across the country. That other sound you heard – the groans of a million kids heading back into the fray mixed with the sound of a million moms sighing with relief as their little darlings start another year of school, along with the sprinkle of a few tears.
This week’s Find Work Wednesday edition is to honor of the millions of men and women educators who we entrust with the hearts and minds of our future. Since the school year has already started the ideal job may be elusive for a little while; there are many viable career options out there for men and women who know how to teach. We also recognize there are many educators out there who have struggled in today’s economy with school cutbacks, hiring freezes and job loss. However, educators bring some unique talents to the corporate world — understanding the tenants and principles of education; the ability to teach a skill is a valuable commodity in the business world – one that not everyone possesses.
We, as parents, send our kids into classrooms and impart on teachers and educator the task of teaching, leading, inspiring, challenging and caring for our children. We salute all educators who meet this monumental mission with determination and triumph. So if you are still looking, consider sharing your special talent with some of the companies below, they would be honored to have you!
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The first fifteen opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. The remaining jobs can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Openings with the National Labor Exchange”.
- Military Base Site Coordinator, K-12, EF Warren AFB-Cheyenne, WY 50930BR
- Teacher-F/T Social Studies-Virtual, K-12, Statewide, OH 50929BR
- Advisor, K-12, Statewide, OH 50928BR
- Office Administrator, K-12, New Orleans, LA 50927BR
- Foreign Language, K-12, All States 50926BR
- Virtual Math Teacher HS, K-12, Grand Rapids, MI 50925BR
- Site Coordinator, K-12, Midwest City, OK (Tinker AFB) 50924BR
- Teacher HS Virtual, K-12, Lawrence, KS 50923BR
- Teacher 7-12 Virtual, K-12, Bloomsburg, PA 50922BR
- Head of School, K-12, New Orleans, LA 50920BR
- Teacher-P/T Spanish, K-12, Statewide, ID 50938BR
- Records Dept. Analyst, K-12, Atlanta, CA 50933BR
- Teacher-P/T French, K-12, Statewide, ID 50937BR
- Trainer, Ft. Lewis, Washington, 50499BR
- Sr. Military Science Instructor, ROTC, Bowling Green, KY, 50038BR
- Staff Research Assoc I #12828, University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
- After-School Staff, Melmark New England (Andover, MA)
- Curriculum Development / IEP Coordinator, Melmark New England (Andover, MA)
- Job Coach, Trinity Health & Employment Services, LLC (Bridgeport, CT)
- Geometry Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Redwood City, CA)
- Network Systems Expert, American Tutoring.com (Hillsboro, OR)
- History Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Harrisburg, PA)
- Chemistry Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Piedmont, CA)
- College Chemistry Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Rancho Cucamonga, CA)
- AP Calculus BC Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Fremont, CA)
- Writing Tutor, American Tutoring.com (Champaign, IL)
- Admissions Reader, #12833, University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
- Sr. Scoring Director/Chief Reader, Pearson (Malta, NY)
- Marketing/Social Media Coordinator (PT), Hillcrest Family Services (Dubuque, IA)
*Note- here is a helpful resource if you are considering teaching virtually! National Standards for Online Teaching:
Traditionally when we think of working in an industry, we think of only the primary jobs involved with the specific industry. In the banking industry for example, you think of bank tellers, loan officers, stock brokers, financial advisors; you get the picture, right? But in each industry you need a host of additional support to help that organization run, in banking you need IT to
keep the online banking system running smoothly. So this week’s focus will be jobs not traditionally associated with that industry.
The purpose of this week’s find work Wednesday is to challenge job seekers to think outside of the box. Sometimes when we want a specific position we only look in that industry and when it isn’t available we give up. What if that position was available somewhere else? What if it just took a little extra research? Would you feel like you gave up on your dream job to soon?
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses can
be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The first four opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. The remaining jobs can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Openings with JobCentral National Labor
Search for Openings with MSCCN:
- Integration Systems Architect, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Virginia (49706BR)
- Information Security Analyst, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Virginia (49707BR)
- Research Associate, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, California (49708BR)
- Intermediate Data Warehouse Developer, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Virginia (49709BR)
Search for Openings with NLX:
- Associate I – Environmental Services, Suburban Hospital (Bethesda, MD)
- Patient Access Applications Trainer, Greater Baltimore Medical Center (Towson, MD)
- Teacher’s Assistant, Samaritan Hospital (Baltimore, MD)
- Teacher – Day Care, Samaritan Hospital (Baltimore, MD)
- Distribution Clerk, Upper Chesapeake Medical Center (Bel Air, MD)
- Maintenance Mechanic, Upper Chesapeake Medical Center (Bel Air, MD)
Today was an exciting day for MSCCN, we added a new Charter Member to our organization, DirectEmployers Association. We first partnered in August of 2010 to revolutionize employment opportunities for military affiliated candidates. The project has grown, surpassed our expectations and brought employment success to military families across the country.
In honor of our new addition, I thought we should highlight our first Charter Member, Concentra, Inc. a member of Humana and also a member of DirectEmployers Association. Our organizations have come full circle and have one thing in common, WE CARE. In honor of that I think that it is fitting to post care giving positions!
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. The additional job opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Job Openings with DirectEmployers Association”.
- PRN Paramedic / LPN / RN, Concentra, Portland, OR, 48774BR
- Nurse, Concentra, St. Louis, MO, 48772BR
- Nurse, Concentra, Brookfield, WI, 48771BR
- Healthcare-Nurses/Medical Assistants, Concentra, Tulsa, OK, 48770BR
- PRN – Emergency Medical Technician, Concentra, St. Petersburg, FL, 48769BR
- PRN – Emergency Medical Technician, Concentra, Tampa, FL, 48768BR
- NP/PA – Float, Concentra, Reno, NV, 48766BR
- NP/PA – Float, Concentra, Bakersfield, CA, 48765BR
- NP/PA – Float, Concentra, Fresno, CA, 48764BR
- Bilingual Nurse – LVN / Paramedic – Astrodome, Houston, TX, 48762BR
Everybody has a secret job that they desire, when I was little I wanted to be a pilot like my Uncle Gary. I remember thinking he was the coolest person and I was so proud of him. I loved going to his house in the summertime, he owned a county airport and I got to help out around the airport, listen to him and the air traffic controllers communicate with pilots, navigate through storms, call coordinates, practice in the simulator, and go out to pick up and return passengers. Because it was a private airport he often got celebrities travelling to New York, I remember the day that Christopher Reed flew in.
Unfortunately, my vision was not so good. So instead I went to college and got a communications degree so that I could write and report about newsworthy events. But I still can’t help but dream about what jobs would have been available to me if I had followed one of my childhood dreams.
All of this week’s Find Work Wednesday positions and thousands of other positions for military spouses can be found at our Job Seeker’s page. The list of opportunities can be found by clicking on “Search for Openings with MSCCN”. If you don’t find one of you dream jobs there then try clicking on “Search for Job Openings with DirectEmployers Association”.
- Global Hawk Instructor Pilot, Beale AFB, CA 48404BR
- Airship Pilot, Sierra Vista, AZ 48403BR
- Pilot, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, St. Inigoes, MD 48402BR
- GH Production Pilot, Palmdale, CA 48401BR
- Pilot, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Palmdale, CA 48400BR
- Pilot Turboprop, Van Nuys, CA 48399BR
- Global Hawk Pilot, Edwards AFB, CA 48398BR
- Director of Flight Operations Test Pilot, Baltimore, MD 48397BR